Adopting LPR as a new technology for your parking management process is a big move, and it’s important to understand the benefits and impacts. We’ve highlighted a few key areas you’ll want to consider when adding a license plate recognition (LPR) system to your operation.
LPR = Virtual Permitting
All permitting will be done electronically and online with permit holders registering the license plate details for their vehicles. Enforcement staff identify violators from an equipped vehicle or a camera mounted at a lot entrance validating vehicles.
- Fewer staff to administer and manage the process
- Hangtag and decal costs are reduced
- Likelihood of errors is reduced
- Fewer fraudulent permits and an increase in the purchase of valid ones
Payments are made at the time of permit issue, or using pay by plate technology. License plate information is available in real time so cameras can differentiate between legally and illegally parked vehicles.
- A move to pay by plate technology means fewer meters to maintain and monitor
- Allow more payment options for parking patrons including mobile solutions like Text2ParkMe
Data Collection & Access
LPR technology can collect data on license plates, their location, the length of time in a location, and photos for reference. The data is available to monitor trends and evaluate your parking management process.
- User occupancy rates to identify under utilized spaces, times, or days
- Evaluate opportunities to generate revenue or improve customer access
- Easier integration of new pricing strategies
- Enforcement team have access to real-time data
Lot or Garage Entrance
LPR technology can add value to gated parking access by reducing the need for access cards and idle time. The cameras monitor entry and exit, recognize the plates of valid permit holders, and prevent entry of unknown vehicles. Gates can be removed entirely to reduce the entry and exit times. Virtual permit enforcement lets parking managers easily see who is a valid parker and quickly ticket those who aren’t.
- Save on gate costs that start at $4000 each depending on features
- Gate removal eliminates maintenance costs and improves traffic flow
- Simplified access for permit holders
- Automated notification of violations helps reduce the need to patrol for enforcement
- Increase the likelihood of identifying and ticketing illegal parkers
The collected parking data is stored and made available in real time. Lot or garage systems can access vehicle history and status when entering and exiting a lot. Enforcement teams have the most current information including vehicle histories.
- Lots and garages are automatically monitored for violations
- Enforcement teams have current data to identify scofflaws and issue violations
- Identify violation hotspots to efficiently schedule enforcement patrols
- Less likely to make mistakes when issuing violations with photos available to support challenged tickets
Zero Integrations. Zero Headaches.
The LPR module from OPS-COM is a full package. A permit, violation, and LPR solution with no system integrations from multiple vendors or multiple licensing fees. Data captured by an LPR camera is cross-referenced with all your OPS-COM modules so appropriate notifications an actoins can be taken.